The Library and Information Resource Centre of Bangladesh University started servicing from 2002 under the egis of the founder Vice-Chancellor, Late Quazi Azher Ali, immediately after the establishment of the university. The Library is the backbone of the research and development activities of Bangladesh University. The use of library resources is vital for pursuing study and research. It is an integral part of the university and designed to meet the information, research, and curriculum needed for students, faculty and staff members. It has comprehensive collections to meet the needs of its users. This is an automated Library Management System, developed by BU Library, which supports browsing databases of books, journals, e-books services etc. Dewey Decimal Classification System is being used to organize and arrange books in BU library. Computerized cataloguing system was started in 2006 by using CDS-ISIS (UNESCO software). 24 databases are now being used into the software.
The Central Library is situated at the third floor of main campus with over 3772 sq. ft. It can accommodate over 100 students at a time. On an average, around 300 users use the library every day.
Bangladesh University aims to become a world-class Knowledge Resource Centre and provides innovative new services and a wider collection of books and resources to the teaching, learning and research communities, using latest technological developments of the 21st century.
A total of around 17,000 books,265 reports, 1,100 journals, 500 title online e-books, CD-ROM books and databases, 111 audio-cassettes, foreign and local magazines, 2 national dailies of Bangladesh and a good number of other resources of the library cover all branches of knowledge.
Quzi Azher Ali Archives center at BU Library: Around 29 books written by the founder VC, Late Quzi Azher Ali and some magazines, news clippings are preserved here.
Currently, the library provides book lending, readers' guidance, internet, current awareness services to its users. Users can avail the main Library as well as the Asad Gate Campus Library from 9.00am to 9.00pm
BU library maintains 7 days a working week. It is open each day from Saturday to Thursday, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. On Friday, it is open from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. with a Jumma prayer break from 1:00 p.m. to 2.30 p.m. It remains closed on public holidays and other dates announced by the university authority.
- A user must produce a valid Library ID in person to the designated Library Staff at the time of borrowing books.
- A member must sign on each Book-Card for borrowing book.
- The borrower will be solely responsible for keeping the borrowed books or resources in good and safe condition, and for their timely return.
- All borrowed books or resources should be returned to the designated Library Staff at the circulation desk during Library working hours on production of the Library ID.
- Borrower can leave after being confirmed about the proper returning of the book.
- Items on loan may be renewed if no request is placed for those items.
- Item/s will be considered as overdue if any user fails to return or renew the item/s within the due date range.
- Borrower will not be able to borrow if he/she has overdue.
i) A Faculty member can borrow 6 (six) Books at a time for a maximum period of four (4) calendar weeks (i.e. 30 days)/one semester (4 months) on producing Library ID at the Circulation Desk.
ii) Books with R- marks will be issued only for 7 (seven) days.
iii) Current journals/periodicals/magazines will not be issued.
iv) Back issue of journals/periodicals/newspapers/ magazines may be issued for the time span of 5.00 pm to 10.00 am.
v) Faculty Members must take Library Clearance at the time of leaving BU.
i) A student can borrow 4 (four) books/resources at a time for a maximum period of 7 (seven) days on producing Library ID / BU ID at the circulation desk.
ii) Students are allowed to use the journals/periodicals/Newspapers within the library only.
iii) Students are not allowed to borrow any Reference Materials such as Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Rare books, any periodicals etc. as well as R-Text (R-marks).
Library User Policy
- All personal bags, coats, jackets, briefcases, umbrellas, etc. are to be kept in the pigeonhole near the security desk.
- Group study, gossiping, discussion, eating, drinking, and smoking are strictly prohibited inside the library.
- All students are requested to handle with care all the fittings, fixtures, furniture, equipment, books, journals, CDs, computers, PC hard wares, etc. of the library and should leave them neat and tidy after use.
- Users must not undertake any form of activity, including talking other than to the library staff that disturbs, distracts, or disrupts. Outside users must take due care of all the fittings, fixtures, furniture, equipment, books, journals, catalogs, computers, etc. They must return the borrowed books, journals etc. in due time after use.
- Mobile phones cannot be used inside the Library.